[amsat-bb] Field case recommendations for FT-817ND?
va7kbm at outlook.com
Fri May 5 07:21:53 UTC 2017
Any thoughts on field cases for FT-817ND radios?
- Protective but slim. I'd rather have a slimmer case, and put the whole
thing in the pack of my choice, than have a manpack specifically
designed for the FT-817ND.
- Because I will have two FT-817ND's at times, I want two cases, so I
can easily bring just one radio if I'm doing QRP, or two radios if I'm
- It might be convenient if the case will hold a second device like an
auto-tuner for HF, or a tablet or small device for digital modes.
- Able to operate the radio while it's in the case.
I've looked at a few:
- The Yaesu vinyl case looks a bit flimsy and is expensive for what it
is (but not bulky, so might be the best choice I've seen).
- The products from PortableZero are too heavy-duty and bulky for my needs.
- The HamSource pack is too bulky and overkill (if I were to carry two
I suppose I'd like something that resembles the Yaesu case, possibly
with a second tuner/device pocket, but made from a heavier duty nylon
pack-cloth, or padded in some way.
Thanks & 73,
Ken - VA7KBM
More information about the AMSAT-BB