[amsat-bb] Ham Radio are permitter on Carnival Cruises

Patrick STODDARD (WD9EWK/VA7EWK) amsat-bb at wd9ewk.net
Thu Jan 14 16:47:41 UTC 2016


It has already been established that the Carnival Liberty
is flagged in Panama, not the Bahamas. Bahamian licensing
is different, and not relevant to the Symposium cruise.

In addition to obtaining the IARP, a letter must also be
sent to the Panamanian authorities outlining where and when
you would be operating from Panamanian territory. The Radio
Club de Panama explains this in English at:


Unfortunately there isn't a mailing address, FAX number, or
e-mail address for that office. I will send an e-mail to that
club, asking for more contact information for that office.

As I mentioned earlier this week, a notification is a lot
better than having to file paperwork for a permit from the
Panamanian authorities, and especially if a fee is required
(like with a Bahamaian amateur license). The IARP should be
sufficient for operation in international waters from that
ship, or if the ship was in Panamanian territorial waters
(it won't be, for this cruise).

When the ship is in US territorial waters, an FCC-issued
license or other license/permit recognized by FCC Part 97
(CEPT radio amateur license, CEPT novice radio amateur
license, IARP, or licenses from other countries covered
by other recpirocal operating agreements with the USA)
would cover that. The cruise won't spend much time in US
territorial waters, for what it's worth.

Since the Mexican licensing authority is not currently
issuing new amateur licenses or permits, there is basically
no chance of operating from Mexican territorial waters
or from Cozumel unless you already hold a Mexican license
or permit. Mexico does not recognize CEPT or IARP arrangements.
Even though some countries, like the USA, have a reciprocal-
operating agreement with Mexico, this does not allow foreign
hams to operate from Mexican territory without first obtaining
a Mexican permit. Those permits were not cheap (my last Mexican
permit in 2010 cost a total of US$ 125),  was valid only for
6 months, and had "strings" (no operating from Mexican islands,
no operating in contests or DXpeditions).


Twitter: @WD9EWK

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM, John Toscano <tosca005 at umn.edu> wrote:

> Plus a $10 application fee, and both fees cover only one year at a time (in
> case you plan to take more than one cruise over more than one year's time).
> You need a General Class license or better to apply. And you need to start
> making these arrangements a few months ahead of time, mot at the last
> minute. All very reasonable requirements, but just sayin' that this is not
> something you can decide to do o a whim without serious planning.Oh, and
> you are only covered while on board the ship in international waters or in
> the territorial waters of the Bahamas. Again, very reasonable but worthy of
> a little pre-planning.
> Enjoy your cruise. I have enjouyed several (radioless, alas).
> 73 de W0JT/5

More information about the AMSAT-BB mailing list