[amsat-bb] Re: Volunteered

Bill Ress bill at hsmicrowave.com
Fri Sep 11 12:38:32 PDT 2009

Rocky Jones wrote:
> Bob
>
> What has been remarkable about this thread, is that it has shown how dysfunctional AMSAT NA is.
>
> Forget satelllite
It's satellite - by the way!
construction etc...people point out problems with the web site and next
thing you have is someone explaining who can and cannot comment on the
state of the organization (to paraphrase "we dont need weak volunteers
who are discouraged by no real method of being able to volunteer  one
has to earn the right to be critical...")

> Forget the ability to answer serious questions like (and I know its annoying) As a team memb"how was the suitsat 2 program allowed to not meet the ability to use the "suits".

As a SuitSat team member, I gave you a brief answer offline and offered
to get more detail if you so desired. You didn't respond. It's obvious
to me that you really don't want an answer, You just want to be a
boring, broken record.

So I'll repeat the simple answer, here, why we missed the suit launch.
Listen up.

The SuitSat team is made up entirely of volunteers who have real jobs,
families, and other responsibilities. Hey, we're just pursuing our
Amateur radio HOBBY - not a professional job. Some of you folks talk
like we're a Loral or Lockheed.  Did you critics forget that Amateur
radio satellites are a hobby - not a business?

Well, by golly, along the way technical challenges delayed progress.
Jobs and families got in the way. Son of a gun - we missed schedules.
I'm not offering excuses, just offering the reality of having folks on
the team that aren't getting paid for their fantastic efforts.

Sure, it's not nice to have technical issues show up or to miss
schedules but in the scheme of things, what have we lost - except maybe
creditability in YOUR eyes. We now have a new satellite structure more
suited for what we are trying to do technically - called ARRISat.

The way you've been carrying on, I am so very glad we don't have you
volunteering - even to stuff envelopes. You'd probably say that we were
doing that wrong too. Personally, I thought that refunding your AMSAT
life membership would make me feel better, but on further reflection,
AMSAT should just keep your money since it is helping fund efforts to
serve it's members who appreciate what volunteers are trying to do for
them and their hobby.

And if you think any of your comments have caused the ARRISat team to
miss a beat on the way to our 2010 launch, then think again. This team
has tackled and solved technical challenges more significant for the
future of AMSAT and its members, than ANY of the issues you raise.

Regards...Bill - N6GHz