[sarex] World space week
lucleblanc6 at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 7 23:07:04 PDT 2009
Just to inform our AMSAT'S about this event! It will be a great media platform even more if ISS can be activated (Cross band repeater or
direct crew contact) during this period October 4 to 10.
What is World Space Week?
It is an international celebration of science and technology, and their contribution to the betterment of the human condition. The United
Nations General Assembly declared in 1999 that World Space Week will be held each year from October 4-10. These dates commemorate two
* October 4, 1957 -- Launch of the first human-made Earth satellite, Sputnik 1, thus opening the way for space exploration
* October 10, 1967 - The signing of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activites of States in the Exploration and Peaceful Uses of
Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies.
Where and how is World Space Week celebrated?
It is open to all. Government agencies, industry, non-profit organizations, teachers, or even individuals can organize events to celebrate
space. This week is coordinated by the United Nations with the support of World Space Week Association and local coordinators in many
countries. Information on the many locations and countries that celebrate World Space Week can be found here.
What are the benefits of World Space Week?
* Educates people around the world about the benefits they receive from space
* Encourages greater use of space for sustainable economic development
* Demonstrates public support for space programs
* Excites children about learning and their future
* Promote institutions around the world that are involved in space
* Fosters international cooperation in space outreach and education
How can schools participate?
This event is ideal for teachers to promote student interest in science and math. A free Teacher's Activity Guide is available here. To
encourage participation, World Space Week Association gives various educational awards each year.
What can I do for World Space Week?
There are many ways to get involved:
* Volunteer for World Space Week Association
* Organize an event directly
* Help expand and coordinate World Space Week
* Encourage teachers and students to do space-related activities
Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
DSTAR urcall VE2DWE
WAC BASIC CW PHONE SATELLITE
More information about the SAREX