[sarex] Astronauts Honored at the White House

Arthur Rowe azrowe80 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 14 05:23:21 PST 2007

Astronauts Honored at the White House

President Bush recognizes NASA astronauts Joan Higginbotham, right, and
Robert Curbeam, during a ceremony honoring African-American History
Month, Monday, Feb. 12, 2007, in the East Room at the White House in
Washington. Curbeam and Higginbotham were crew members of Space Shuttle
Discovery's STS-116 mission to the International Space Station in
December 2006. It was the first shuttle mission with two
African-American crew members.

President Bush called STS-116, "one of the most challenging missions in
NASA's history" and added, "I really appreciate the fact that they are
furthering humanity's path of discovery, and I appreciate the fact that
you say loud and clear, our country is unlimited in its opportunities
for people from all walks of life."
+ President Bush's Remarks

During the 13-day mission -- the 20th shuttle flight to the
International Space Station -- the crew rewired the outpost's power
system and continued constructing the station by installing the P5
integrated truss segment. As the only STS-116 crew member to participate
in all four spacewalks, Curbeam set a shuttle program record for the
most spacewalks performed by one astronaut during a single mission.
Higginbotham directed the transfer of 5,800 pounds of much-needed
supplies and equipment to the station from the SPACEHAB single logistics
module in the orbiter's payload bay.

Photo Credit: NASA/Bill Ingalls