[Namaste-dev] Re: Preliminary Symposium Presentation

Michelle w5nyv at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 19:39:46 PDT 2008

Thank you very much for the good points. I like the idea of considering a P25 gateway requirement. I don't completely understand the not-wanting-to-advertise part of it. The cognitive approach should indeed be described more clearly. I'll work on all of this for the next revision.
It's true that this terrestrial interface module is not strictly a functional requirement of the ground station itself - for amateur radio operation.
It may or may not be a functional requirement for emergency communications operation. This is something we are beginning to analyze with the goal of answering the question of whether or not it is a real requirement, and whether or not we can expect it to help us in the ways previously mentioned (i.e. funding).
What I see in our case is that an interface like IPICS or IP-to-third-party emergency communications product arises from the architecture. If there is a need for emergency communications operators to use our satellite link via APCO, to achieve infrastructure-independent communications, then the module would seem necessary to achieve those communications.
JoAnne Maenpaa has begun work on identifying the use cases and work on the requirements analysis. Let's help JoAnne as much as possible. I will restart informational interviews concerning APCO25 with, at the very least, local emergency communications workers, with an eye towards interviewing people in other areas. Please feel free to start your own surveys through any emergency communications contacts you have. Feedback from people that actually use radios in the field is necessary for the technical analysis.
Considering the complexity of the subject, it will take several attempts at the analysis to get and keep a good handle on it. I think that's well within our capabilities, and I'm very motivated to produce a well-informed decision on whether or not to include an APCO 25 terrestrial interface module.

so... more soon!
-Michelle W5NYV