[Namaste-dev] Re: Preliminary Symposium Presentation

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Tue May 27 17:41:09 PDT 2008

APCO P25 is a controversial subject. As such it will surely generate much
heated controversy :-) That said, until there's consensus on whether and how
to go forward with that component, I'd strongly urge not advertising it as
part of the project or as a functional requirement.

The most that can be justified, in my opinion, is some kind of P25 gateway
requirement. That could be achieved by something as simple as a tunnel for
P25 CVSD. Such a tunnel would not necessarily be confined to P25 data in any
case. Interoperability beyond that can be accomplished by ground station
hardware add-ons. The hardware and licensing costs should not be borne by
Namaste or by normal participating operators.

Regardless, the Cognitive functions mentioned in the presentation draft are
inherent in P25, not separable from it. If Cognitive capabilities are
functional requirements they should be listed and described under distinct
headings.

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Michelle <w5nyv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.delmarnorth.com/namaste/Symposium2008TeamNamaste.pdf
> This is preliminary. This document is for eventual presentation at
> symposium, goal establishment, and work capture between now and then.
> I am looking for review and contribution in terms of content, questions
> that we want to answer by then, and any other aspect that can and should be
> included. Think of the presentation that you would be delighted to be part
> of, and then let's describe it. From that vision, I believe that we can
> increase the amount of clarity that we currently have concerning
> longer-range planning.
> This process will also greatly assist the success of the July meeting.
> more soon, -Michelle W5NYV

The only thing we have to fear is whatever comes along next. -- Austin Cline