[Namaste-dev] Website and Documents Management

Michelle w5nyv at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 17:08:36 PDT 2008

Hi everyone!

I'm looking at the documents management needs of the project with an eye towards improving them.
I am intending to align with Dave Hartzell's efforts at www.amsat.org. He's suggested OpenKM for a documents management software package. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to get some experience with it, and if it meets our needs to then coordinate with him in order to make a transition over to the amsat server happen. Google Apps has also been recommended.
Documents for the project are currently hosted at www.delmarnorth.com, which is one of my personal sites. The reason I set it up there instead of at www.amsat.org is because there was an immediate need for sharing documents and there was no webmaster at AMSAT. I attempted to use Eaglepedia to set up a ground station page, but I did not have the necessary permissions and there was no one available to assist.
There is plenty of bandwidth and server space for us at delmarnorth, but my feeling is that the project documents for an AMSAT-sponsored project should probably live at amsat.org, and that there should be document and revision controls as well as other services that we may find useful or necessary. As soon as www.amsat.org is ready for the transition and meets our needs, then I'll coordinate with Dave and we'll make it happen.
We currently have a redirection from www.amsat.org/namaste. I plan on keeping that address, so there will be no change there.
What I need to know in in terms of improving the website is hearing about what those who are actually interested in development, require.
Those that want to participate in the creation, reviewing, and finalizing of documents and designs (hardware and software) need to be able to do so more easily than the current method, which consists of me compiling feedback from meetings, email, and phone calls and then publishing it. I'd like for the tools to do more of the work for us, in other words.
I am happy to continue to serve in the capacity of webmaster and librarian. Since we are extremely spread geographically, communications are critical. Since we're open source, documents management and ease of sharing are vital. Let me know what you need.