[Namaste-dev] Re: Interoperability through APCO-25

Daniel Schultz n8fgv at usa.net
Fri May 23 13:07:09 PDT 2008

Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but since Amsat is an organization of
licensed radio amateurs operating under FCC part 97, why is interoperability
with police and public service radios under APCO-2 standards an issue for us?
Are we trying to offer a direct satellite tie-in for public safety
communications systems? Or are we offering a trained and licensed corps of
volunteer communicators (hams) who are offering to supplement normal public
safety channels in a time of crisis? What is our mission here? Are we planning
to open our system to non-licensed public safety personnel and therefore
operate outside of Part 97 authority? At what point does it cease to be ham
radio? What happens when public safety directors decide that they don't need
help from the hams anymore, since they can just talk directly on the
satellite?

Dan Schultz N8FGV