[Namaste-dev] Re: SuperPortable User Interface Design Document - posted for Review

Michelle w5nyv at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 09:18:46 PDT 2008

Hi Frank,
You may well be right that Jabber is the right answer, and I'm inclined to agree. However, the plan is to prove our needs through requirements analysis instead of starting on a particular implemenation, protocol, or design that seems to meet our needs. Nailing the requirements down, reviewing them as widely and as well as we can, and then publishing them will make the design and implementation defensible, easier, and will greatly help in selling the idea to operators. In other words, Jabber isn't mentioned because it's a solution to a set of needs (the upcoming implementation document), not an expression of the set of needs.
Here are some questions for when we (in the very near future) get to the point where we're looking at solutions for the needs we think we know we have: What requirement(s) does Jabber satisfy? Are there requirements currently in the document that you feel exclude Jabber? Feel free to reverse engineer the requirements from Jabber. If we then have any requirements collisions or gaps, then we have a bit of really fun work to do.
We may or may not be addressing the same needs as a commercial terrestrial PDA, and we may or may not be able to leverage the tools that are out there for their project.
How familiar are you with the alliance tools, like the SDK? It looks fun.
more soon, -Michelle W5NYV

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis.