[Namaste-dev] Re: SuperPortable User Interface Design Document - posted for Review

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Fri May 23 07:27:58 PDT 2008

Apologies to everybody for this hasty response. I wanted to plant a couple
of seeds before responding more fully.

If you're interested in this topic, please have a look at a couple of things
before getting deeply involved in the UI design document.

(1) Skim the copious information on the web concerning Jabber/XMPP. I'd
submit that *not* using XMPP and a standard client is a mistake, especially
when the implementations are free, commonly available, and mature. (<
http://www.jabber.org>, <http://ejabberd.im>)

(2) Look through the Open Handset Alliance materials. Once again, a lot of
smart people and rich companies are spending a lot of time and money to do
the infrastructure work. I think you have to make a pretty strong argument
to justify re-inventing this particular wheel. (
<
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gphone/first-details-of-the-gphone-prototype-318946.php

<http://code.google.com/android>
<http://www.openhandsetalliance.com>
)

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Michelle <w5nyv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> First draft of a proposed SuperPortable User Interface Design Document is
> up for review!
> download a pdf here:
>
> http://www.delmarnorth.com/namaste/NamasteSuperPortableUserInterfaceDesignDocument.pdf
> If you subscribe to the document feed, it will be delivered to you through
> your reader.
> The document has has a very brief overview, lists the functions, lists the
> interfaces, lists the functional requirements, lists the interface
> requirements, and then discusses the use of templates to increase the ease
> of use of the station. The document closes with a list of open questions.
> The appendix includes an n-Square diagram to help keep track of the
> interfaces.
> The goal of this document is to capture the requirements of
> the SuperPortable ground station in order to provide the designers with
> clear direction. Please take some time to review the requirements and give
> feedback to this proposal.
> I'm interested in as high a quality list of functional and interface
> requirements as we can produce, as well as presenting a place to track open
> questions.
> More soon, -Michelle W5NYV

The only thing we have to fear is whatever comes along next. -- Austin Cline