[Namaste-dev] Re: Interoperability through APCO-25

Michelle w5nyv at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 13:32:22 PDT 2008

You sound like an excellent resource for this particular question, and you raise very good questions, which I'll try and answer.
I'll start with the last thing first, which is an anticipated comment for any large project.
My sense is that there are people who will want to work on this terrestrial module that would not otherwise volunteer in other areas of ground station design. This means less impact on human resources than might be suspected. Adding to that, I take recruitment seriously, and am very interested in drawing new people to the technical volunteer side of the hobby. In other words, if we are short on people due to decisions on prioritization of work, then the ball is in my court.
The scope of work in this particular area is much more well-defined at present than some of the others. This in and of itself is important. If the scope of work is known, and if the priority of the work can be established, and if people are interested and available and can commit, then we can schedule it.
Working backwards from there, with regard to waiting for a request from a served agency - Bob McGwier has spoken about this over the past year or so on several occasions. He has stated quite strongly that without a demonstration of interoperability (such as analog interface, IPICS, APCO-25) that we simply will not be able to afford the launch. If we can't afford a launch, we have a very different project!
We have been asked, as amateur radio operators, at a national level, to up our game in this regard. In Bob's view, the interoperability question is central to the success of the project. It's therefore not really something we can wait to consider or include. I think the time to do the requirements analysis on this would be now. If the answer is that this particular method of interoperabiliy is not central, that it is in our interests to not include a terrestrial module, then let's identify exactly why not, in terms of feasibility or a particular inability to meet a technical requirement.
The fact that people are needed, that money is needed, are truisms for any aspect of the project, and are not in and of themselves a contraindication.
I hope that helps, and I expect that you have a lot more insight in this area. Are you willing to work on this question or in this area? I'm very interested in getting some traction on interoperability. I think we have a good handle on the IPICS strategy, but APCO-25 is another beast entirely.
Finally, it may go without saying, but it's almost always better with: Working on the terrestrial interface does not disqualify anyone from working on any other aspect of the design. You're not stuck in "APCO land" if you take a swing at generating solid requirements for the project. In fact, getting into the swing of things by attacking this module first just might kickstart efforts into other areas that have some initial research but aren't fully staffed. I'm ready to help out wherever we can make progress. This particular subject has been highlighted to me by Bob, et al, so that's why I'm motivated to investigate and produce results.
I greatly appreciate your input and insights.

more soon,-Michelle W5NYV

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis.