[Namaste-dev] Re: Interoperability through APCO-25

Michelle w5nyv at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 12:13:53 PDT 2008

I'll try to add to the very good discussion here, with some thoughts on the endeavor.
As originally envisioned, as discussed in February in Florida, and as presented at Dayton, the intended users of the ground station include both amateur radio operators and emergency communications operators.
Supporting emergency communications requires a response to the rise of the APCO-25 standard. At a very minimum, we have to be able to intelligently articulate why it's not in our interests to provide interoperability in a particular way. My feeling is that it is very much in our interests, and I'm interested to prove this feeling one way or another.
Navigating policy and politics is part of the engineering challenge to Namaste. There are lots of communications projects that involve much much less in terms of the policy and politics issues. Namaste, as chartered by Bob McGwier, is not necessarily one of those, since we're playing in an area that is dominated by policy and politics issues. However, there are large parts of the project that are largely free of the sorts of issues that you are talking about, and offer a more purely technical challenge.
In other words, there are constraints introduced on this module due to the national and political nature of this endeavor. They are not insurmountable, but they may not be simple to comply with.
Are you interested in taking on the challenge of approaching the question of APCO-25 interoperability? I'd like to find at least 5 people that are interested and willing to develop requirements that will enable us to design (from requirements to validation) a terrestrial interface to APCO-25 devices.
We will do whatever it takes to achieve this, if it is feasible. So far, I see nothing that would contraindicate our ability to interoperate. Instead, I see legitimate realizations of the challenges in this area.
There are costs, and there are hoops. The vocoder issue is publicized well enough that I know about it, and I am sure there are clever ways to approach it. Standards bodies quite often charge money for standards, and we can afford to buy the standard. We can accomodate standards that are not open for an optional module for a microwave-band satellite ground station, if the case is compelling enough.
In talking with emergency communications workers and representatives, I'm getting the impression that it is.
With optimism and flexibility, I think the scope of work I'm talking about is achievable, desirable enough from an interoperability viewpoint, well-defined enough to where work can begin, and rewarding enough technically to justify the time it will take to achieve the end result.
Would you like to be involved in being responsible for this part of the project? I'd like that a lot, and I hope you'll consider it.
 -Michelle W5NYV