[Namaste-dev] Re: Tuesday Challenge 13 May 2008 (results from 6 May 2008)

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Tue May 20 09:28:49 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 08:19:09AM -0700, Michelle wrote:
> >> There are many phases of the project, which also affect price and cost.
>
> >I'm not sure I understand what you mean here?

> Phases with respect to time. Early versions of the ground station
> hardware and software will cost differently from later versions. If
> you think of this as at least a two-dimensional grid, with
> differently-costing configurations on one axis, and time on the
> other, you'll get a market summary for a constellation of
> configurations for a particular product over time. I don't have
> enough data to produce a market map quite yet, but it will be
> included as soon as those of us that are focused on
> manufacturability, components engineering, and procurement get some
> traction with the design. This won't happen for some time to come,
> but it's on the horizon, and we have a core group of those sorts of
> people that are looking forward to that phase of the project.
>
> -Michelle W5NYV

Until you know the basic feature sets and capacities of the various
configurations, you don't have a prayer of figuring out what they're
going to cost, regardless of time.  In addition, the feature sets and
capacities are coupled to the design of the air interface.

E.g, consider these hypothetical systems:

  Handheld gadget only capable of SMS style messaging.

B:

  I've got room for a moderate sized antenna, and I want to
  send and receive digital voice.

C:
  Space and power is no problem, I want streaming video.

How much does the ground station cost?

In the past there has been extensive discussion about different
classes of systems, and outside of the names of the various classes,
there seemed to be consensus that it was a good approach, and a suitable
framework for discussion.   I suggest we start there.

Eric K7GNU