[Namaste-dev] Re: Tuesday Challenge 13 May 2008 (results from 6 May 2008)

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Mon May 19 18:33:06 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 14:53 -0700, Michelle wrote:
> Excellent questions. Let me see if I can answer them.

The problem is that a number standing by itself without the kind of
definitional context Eric's questions are driving at just isn't very
interesting.

For any given detailed ground segment definition, there are two numbers
that *are* interesting.  One is what the intended users would be willing
to pay for the defined functionality, the other is what "retail" price
we think we can deliver that defined functionality for.  If the former
exceeds the latter, then we have an instant hit.  If not, then we have
more work to do...  ;-)

> The purpose of the survey (the Tuesday challenge and the survey in the newsletter) is to find out what the current feeling is on assumptions about the end-user price (not the component cost) of the ground station.

Ok, so we now have a data point for what some users might be willing to
pay for a ground station, but without a crisp definition of what they
think they're getting for that price.  Fair?  Not a bad starting point.

> There are multiple configurations, which affect price and cost.

Yes.

> There are many phases of the project, which also affect price and cost.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here?

> We will deliver a cost and price estimate, with supporting analysis, at the October AMSAT Symposium. This will require answering a lot of questions between now and then, and I'm extremely interested in (and agree with) your input.

Excellent.

> ... we expect the cost to be between $350 (bare bones) and $1000 (complete system).

I hope you understand, given what I said above, and your own comments
about multiple configurations, why I find these numbers completely
unsatisfying standing alone like this.

> What questions do you most want to see answered?

Crisp definitions of what's included in each "configuration" of a ground
station to "ground" the cost and price analysis would be a great place
to start.

Cheers!

Bdale, KB0G