[Namaste-dev] Re: Tuesday Challenge 13 May 2008 (results from 6 May 2008)

Michelle w5nyv at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 14:53:23 PDT 2008

Hello Eric,

Excellent questions. Let me see if I can answer them.

The purpose of the survey (the Tuesday challenge and the survey in the newsletter) is to find out what the current feeling is on assumptions about the end-user price (not the component cost) of the ground station.

There are multiple configurations, which affect price and cost. There are many phases of the project, which also affect price and cost.

$350 is attainable for certain configurations during certain phases of the project.

We will deliver a cost and price estimate, with supporting analysis, at the October AMSAT Symposium. This will require answering a lot of questions between now and then, and I'm extremely interested in (and agree with) your input.

The meeting that you are referring to - the summer 2006 meeting at Qualcomm - is part of the foundation of the effort. We've built upon it and are progressing forward from there. Based upon the work done in 2006, the work done by the team since February 2008, and the work that is scheduled for the immediate future, we expect the cost to be between $350 (bare bones) and $1000 (complete system).

The preliminary presentation for the October Symposium will be released this week, and I'd like to open the subject of cost and price analysis for work between now and October. What other aspects and facets of the problem most interest and concern you? What questions do you most want to see answered?
 -Michelle W5NYV

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis.