[Namaste-dev] Re: ARRL TTF Presentation

Paul Williamson kb5mu at amsat.org
Tue May 13 08:47:46 PDT 2008

At 3:55 PM -0400 5/12/08, Tom Clark, K3IO wrote:
>I have just finished (although it can be changed) a short presentation for the ARRL Technology Task Force (TTF) forum @ Dayton.

Based on Michelle's preliminary work on Namaste:

I'd be very wary of calling the text messaging user terminal "hand-held". That may not be realistic. How about "highly portable" instead.

When billing "wideband data access" for larger dish users, there's considerable room for misunderstanding. People are used to thinking of "wideband data access" in terms of commercial internet. This is a much more limited capability. A better idea of what to expect might be conveyed by saying "access to one higher-speed data channel".

On Slide 10, about the San Diego demo, the case that interop is blocked by commercial interests is overstated. Many of the interop issues have been addressed. There are already commercial standards for IP-based interoperation. We are not inventing anything new here, nor is the commercial radio community as clueless as all that. Our role as I see it will be the usual one, to provide additional backup capability, with the bonus that our infrastructure (the satellite) is immune from damage by most types of disaster.

Two L's in Michelle (two places on slide 10).

73  -Paul
kb5mu at amsat.org