[Namaste-dev] Re: Handheld/Super-Portable/Portable Namaste

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Mon May 5 12:09:14 PDT 2008

FWIW some of these issues are touched on in my paper in the 2006 AMSAT
Symposium Proceedings, "Eagle and Erlang: A Platform for Satellite
Text Messaging and Other Wonders."

I'd also urge anybody interested in this topic to have a look at some
of the recent work in Delay-Tolerant Networks
(http://www.dtnrg.org/wiki) and the serious, practical work already
done on the so-called "Interplanetary Internet"
(http://www.ipnsig.org). Among other things, Eagle messaging appears
to be an excellent opportunity to realize a system embodying these
ideas, well ahead of anybody else. It's not an impediment that much of
the software infrastructure for such a system would be off-the-shelf
today.

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Michelle <w5nyv at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Overview document up for review and comment on the website and in the document feed. Dive in!
>
>  http://www.delmarnorth.com/namaste/Namaste_Handheld_Overview.pdf
>  Text of the document below:
>  Background (summer 2006 San Diego meeting)
>
>  2006: "Hand-held capability for quick and easy emergency communications." –Jim Sanford
>
>  2006: "We concluded that the handheld digital voice goal is not supportable by a spacecraft we can fly. This capability has been an important goal, but analysis of the communications links revealed it was simply not achievable with our spacecraft– the numerical analysis was unequivocal. We realized that handheld text messaging is possible and after analysis of requirements, link budgets, and power available/required, it was concluded this service is best provided at U/V-band. Trying to do it in the microwave bands would have consumed the majority of all the transmitter power and limited the number of voice grade channels to much less than any desirable level of service. The resulting system will allow a small U/V package that can be parachuted into an emergency area if necessary." –Bob McGwier
>
>  2006: "Action item11 Detailed uplink link budget and user ground station design for "handheld" Class 1 service on U/V. Find team to define Class 1 signals and design ground segment hardware. AB2KT will do Class 1 signaling. KD6OZH in charge of RX. TX team TBD."
>
>  Current Status
>
>  If the frequency of the device is U/V, then the project would appear to fall outside the original scope of Namaste, which is a microwave-band satellite transceiver for amateur radio that includes several classes of stations.
>  Here is the beginning of what we need.
>
>  1) A definition of how a portable text-based device would be used for emergency communications. Provide a use case for emergency communications. Who would use it, when, where, why, and how?
>  2) A definition of how a portable text-based device would be used for amateur radio communications. Provide a use case for amateur radio application. Who would use it, when, where, why, and how?
>  3) A protocol suited for high-latency low-data-rate links needs to be selected. This protocol may or may not be the same across all versions of Namaste due to the differences in data rates, but any departure needs to be justified in writing.
>  4) Infrastructure independent operation described. No central server, no login transactions. The device and the spacecraft are the nodes.
>  5) Antenna requirements need to be started.
>  6) Functional requirements. What is this device expected to be able to do? This should come directly from the use cases in 1) and 2).
>
>  More soon!  :+)
>   -Michelle W5NYV

The only thing we have to fear is whatever comes along next. -- Austin Cline