[Namaste-dev] DBS dish mounts

William Blair wbblair3 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 17:00:42 PDT 2008

Posting in the blind, uncertain of what has been mentioned before or has already been accomplished, here's an inexpensive home-brew and highly stable DBS dish mount that's nearly identical to something I came up with independently some time ago:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1422205795058241897AqKkJN

In place of the leveling pads, my version just used short sections of pipe with end caps as the pads.  No precise leveling was attempted (or required).  My version also had a slightly wider stance.  A tent stake was driven under the center of the front-to-back pipe and a short piece of parachute cord was used to tie the platform to it.  Since the mount was already very wind resistant, this was done as a precautionary measure to resist _very_ high winds which it did on multiple occasions.

Since the Namaste dish will be radiating, short stakes with red construction flagging tape could be used to mark off a small radiation hazard area in front of the dish.

I've taken a close look at this tripod at Home Depot and it's extremely sturdy.  Note that it's $46 on-line and $69 in their stores:

http://tinyurl.com/6a7f2k

Then there's the DeWalt for about the same price (on-line):

http://tinyurl.com/6nvkwc

I'm sure something could be rigged up for a DBS-style dish from either one of these.

Bill W0ARN