[Namaste-dev] Antenna Collecting

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Wed Jun 18 20:15:26 PDT 2008

Hello The Net:

I am in the process of collecting antennas for the ACP. Both uplink and
downlink.
For actual operation I am planning 2 each antennas on a common AZ/EL
positioner.
Both collimated. Emphasis on full duplex.

So far I have ;

2 each directtv type offset fed dishes are available with feed support
but no feed for 3.4 GHz.
(directtv feeds are for 11 + GHz and are probably circularly polarized.
preamplifier at the feed is actually a block down converter, with a DRO
as a LO,
so there may be frequency stability/accuracy issues.)

1 each Directive Systems, 45 element rear mounted loop yagi. Linearly
polarized, horizontal or vertical.
Model:  945LY  and others.

See: http://www.directivesystems.com/

Initial plan is to use on 3456 MHz terrestrial comms, horizontal
polarization.
Will eventually sweep the VSWR to see how it plays at 3400-3410 MHz.
No signal generator on this band, yet.

I also have on hand a gridded dish designed for the 5.7 GHz datacom
band, linearly polarized
for the uplink (5668 MHz ?)  Initial plan is for 5760 MHz and a DEMI
transverter to 2M IF
for terrestrial comms.

Other thoughts, to be resolved later, probably not part of the
requirements definition.

1.   Are we planning circular polarization (LHCP or RHCP ?) or linear,
horizontal or vertical or slant ?
Waveguide septum feeds for simultaneous RHCP and LHCP are being designed
by EMEers
for use at 3400.0 MHz. There is a big international effort focusing in
on EME at 3400.0 MHz  !!

2.  What are the frequencies planned ?   uplink 5668.0 MHz,  downlink
where in 3400 to 3410 MHz
Will the ACP be compatible with a 2M IF  ?  or what IF ?
Or will the ACP have a direct RF input at 3.4 GHz ? and we need not
worry about a transverter.

3. What frequency accuracy/drift  requirements  ?

Some pointers.....

Down East Microwave Inc, DEMI, makes a low noise preamplifier, coax in
and out.
See:  http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/

DEMI also makes a transverter for 3456 MHz with a 144 MHz IF
I am exploring changing the LO to support someplace in the satellite
band 3400 to 3410 MHz on RX for downlink.

DEMI also makes a 5760 MHz transverter for a 144 MHz IF,
I am slowly exploring how this could be used for 5668MHz with a 144 MHz
IF for a TX uplink

DB6NT also makes transverters for 3400, 3456, 5760 and a TX only for
5668 MHz, usually a 144 MHz IF.

W1GHZ has come up with a design for a simple transverter for 1296, 2304
or 3456 MHz. Pcb's are available
See: http://www.w1ghz.org/
I am exploring how to change the LO so we can use it somewhere in the
3400-3410 MHz satellite band for the downlink.
A possible solution may be to use a DEMI MICROLO pcb for the local
oscillator.

AD6IW has a VCO/PLL used with a accurate 10 MHz OCXO reference for a
possible LO.
Price: unknown at this time.
Phase noise issue needs to be evaluated/investigated.

www. keps.it
offers some interesting concepts. A circularly polarized patch antenna
for 2.4 GHz.
I like their low noise preamplifer, with block RX down converter, for
2.4 GHz
placed at the round parabolic dish primary feed.
Technique has potential for 3.4 GHz.
Even a dual band patch feed has potential, formuse with 1 dish

Ebay does offer directtv antennas.

Stan, W1LE    FN41sr   Cape Cod

ZZZZz