[Namaste-dev] Re: April 29 challenge

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 09:49:43 PDT 2008

I was absolutely convinced, as were all involved, that my work partner
was not going to be promoted in a timely fashion.  We just got several
million more dollars from congress while I was away and he simply was
not senior enough to be PM.   I had been in Asia for almost two months
and arrived back home to be called on the carpet in front of DNI and
informed that I was going to IPA to the government.   Simply put,  that
meant I was going from contractor to senior government executive in a
political appointment.  That has TREMENDOUS implications for what one is
allowed to do outside of work.  Practically speaking,  even if allowed
to,  I simply could not have served effectively.

I complained bitterly to General Alexander about the wrecking of my life
and that I was going to do this but very begrudgingly since this was my
life's work and my real legacy but that a much better approach would be
to take the already government employee, who is absolutely and clearly
on the road to super-stardom, and push him along.  I don't need more
super-stardom.  I have two gold medals from DCI, one from POTUS, one
from DNI,  and three units I ran a project with have Pres Unit
Citations. My career as a "poobah curmudgeon " is so maxed out it isn't
funny.

The good news, he listened.  My work partner was promoted to senior
enough to manage the project.  I think they were afraid I was going to quit.

I have informed the AMSAT BOD and officers that I will be able to
continue to serve as the VP Engineering but that my single term as
member of the BORED of directors let me know I am completely
uninterested in that position.  It is up to the board to decide in
October if I remain in the job.  Until then,  I am going to act as if I
assume I will be in it.  But I am not interested in board matters any
further. I only care about engineering matters from this time on except
for mandatory votes.

Bob
N4HY

--
ARRL SDR Working Group Chair, AMSAT VP Engineering.
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.