[Namaste-dev] Re: Tom and cognitive radio and us

Michelle w5nyv at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 10:13:03 PDT 2008

When you say "this" what do you mean? What rails?
A "template matching for known waveforms" is one of the things I'd expect Tom to be interested in doing, but I'm very open to his participation in any aspect of the project. As Frank Brickle pointed out in his critique of the symposium presentation, the cognitive part of the module is separable from the purpose of the module.
A requirements analysis of the interoperability module is in progress. Drafts will be released as soon as they're done. Joanne Maenpaa is the lead on this part of the project, and I support her plan and basic approach. I'm very interested in the eventual outcome of her work, since it gets right to the heart of one of the two intended audiences for our project - emergency communications operators.
After requirements analysis comes design and proposals for implementation. We're not there yet, and depending on the use case study, regulatory issues, and legal issues, we may decide not to pursue particular types of interoperability because they make no sense for us to do. There has been very good discussion on the list about this.

The current phase of the project concerns investigating requirements and we're making progress. We have not designed cognitive radio into (or out of) any part of Namaste. We're not at the design stage yet, and won't be until after we have a set of requirements in hand. Requirements analysis is going to continue through at least the summer, with more formal reviews in late summer/early fall.
This is not a schedule; this is an expectation based on how much progress we've made since February.
I expect to talk a lot more about this and other subjects at the July meeting here in San Diego.

 -Michelle W5NYV

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis.