[Namaste-dev] Interoperability through APCO-25

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 22:08:54 PDT 2008

With all of the many users of APCO-25 in the area of emergency
communications, this would be the ideal theoretical candidate in my opinion.

However, until and unless we are allowed to protect these
communications, it seems unlikely this will work or be used. Next, I am
unsure we are legally allowed to interconnect users of these services
directly which I believe is the implication.

We can pass the audio under the control of a control operator as if
doing a phone patch but the passage of the control channels, digital
data, etc. Next, phase 2 uses AMBE to reduce the data rate to 4800 bps.
We can easily use the "USB dongles" to do the AMBE but I only ask the
question is this level of complexity necessary for us to do the basic
experiments? I cannot see how we will convince the FCC to allow us to
put a radio of our own manufacture on the P25 bands. We will certainly
see lots of push back from manufacturers. I am willing to be convinced
but this seems like a big hurdle.

Worried about this in NJ,
Bob

--
ARRL SDR Working Group Chair, AMSAT VP Engineering.
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.