[Namaste-dev] Re: Weekly Plan June 2 - June 6

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Jun 4 16:19:46 PDT 2008

Paul Williamson wrote:
> An open-source policy will be a show stopper for people who can't stand to see others profit from their work.
This isn't necessarily true. I run a dual-licensing system for my own
business. There is a strong reciprocal license (Affero GPL3) and a
commercial license. You can use the Open Source license at the cost of
surrendering any improvements you make with the same rights that you've
gotten from me, or you can pay for the commercial license. It handily
sorts out users into those who wish to collaborate and those who just
want good software and can pay for that. This is certainly possible for
a project like Namaste, but you'd have to sort out who gets paid for
what, and that sorting process and the inevitable misallocation would
likely cause more bad feeling than a "gift" style license. If there were
commercial potentials and we wanted to avoid the strife, it would be
better to put funds in a foundation and have the foundation give them
back to AMSAT.

    Thanks

    Bruce