[Namaste-dev] Re: Weekly Plan June 2 - June 6

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Jun 3 13:45:03 PDT 2008

Paul Williamson wrote:
> Well ... maybe we don't agree so completely as all that. I AM sorely tempted to say that I do advocate mandating some aspects of the development process. If I were in a rabble-rousing mood, I would say that I want to mandate "engineering" and prohibit "hacking"..
The definition of professional engineering in our field is changing as
hardware gets softer and we no longer have to feel we are working in
cast concrete. I think you need to be sensitive to the advantages of
this new medium of ultra-fast design turn. It allows much more creative
experimentation and depends on all of the collaborators and even users
trying each idea.

In the interest of polite discourse, please don't call us zealots, or
religious, etc. We accept that you are speaking sincerely of what you
believe is good engineering, we are too.

    Thanks

    Bruce