[Namaste-dev] Re: Weekly Plan June 2 - June 6

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Tue Jun 3 01:53:05 PDT 2008

I apologize for coming into the middle of an ongoing discussion. I was
copied on two messages today because I have recently "carried the flag"
for Open Standards and Open Source within AMSAT and TAPR. I've promoted
these things outside of AMSAT for more than a decade.

I know several of the members listed on the Namaste web site. I believe
many of them, perhaps most, would expect the set of rights defined by
the OSD as a _minimum_ requirement for the investment of their
participation.

We have seen a number of projects fail because they were held too close
- as valuable intellectual property - to encourage the participation of
all of the individuals, organizations, and companies that could have
kept those projects afloat. At the same time, developers have a
well-justified fear of commercial entities running away with the
project, without any consideration of the developer's investment into
that project. The existing Open Source licenses and the OHL try to
strike a balance between those two perspectives.

Paul makes a good point about openness of process. This is so well
accepted as an obviously good thing that it is taken for granted among
open standards organizations and open source projects today.

I haven't heard any "argument against" yet. Is there any such argument,
or was it always the fact that the obvious result of this discussion was
going to be "Of course, we'll be wide open".

    Thanks

    Bruce K6BP