[Namaste-dev] Re: Weekly Plan June 2 - June 6

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Mon Jun 2 21:13:03 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Michelle <w5nyv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 8. Policy development concerning openness, open source, transparency, etc.
> begins this week.
> Some of the feedback about the project concerned the definition and
> explanation of what we
> mean when we say open source.

http://opensource.org/docs/osd
http://opensource.org/osr

My apologies if this comes across as a harsh response, but: what about this
is hard to understand? The guidelines and the motivation are awfully clear.
Is there some hitherto undiscovered problem with these definitions or
requirements that we're proposing to fix as part of this project?

It makes me slightly uneasy that Open Source and Open Standards keep coming
up as issues about which there's some question. There are too many recent
high-profile examples where exactly what has happened has been a continual
reinsertion into standards processes of specious questions about Openness,
when the actual intent was to subvert the process itself. ISO is currently
being torn apart over precisely this issue. Debate and discussion are always
to be encouraged, but it's not at all obvious to me what there is for us to
debate and discuss in this arena.

Speaking only for myself, I can say without reservation that these
principles are not up for negotiation as conspicuous foundations and ground
rules for participation in the project.

Yours in bewilderment,
73
Frank
AB2KT

--
The only thing we have to fear is whatever comes along next. -- Austin Cline