[Namaste-dev] Re: Thoughts on ACP Interoperability

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Sun Jul 13 13:34:32 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Timothy J. Salo <salo at saloits.com> wrote:

Not really.  This simply means that amateurs run into
> intellectual property issues if they implement the codec
> in software.  But, you can simply buy a chip that does
> this...

No, I'm saying it should be a categorical position for the AMSAT project
that buying somebody else's locked up chip is unacceptable. There is no way
that a critical sector of AMSAT technology should be at the mercy of a third
or fourth party's lawyers. Period.

> Fortunately, most (or probably all) of these issues become
> irrelevant to us, if we focus on providing IP connnectivity
> that can be used by P25 systems.

It remains to be shown that the major P25 vendors themselves have provided
this kind of connectivity. The critique from the GAO suggests that this is
exactly where they have fallen down. (It is, by the way, exactly the place
where FEMA has found greatest dissatisfaction with its suppliers also, as a
historical matter.)

That is to say, it would be nice to know for sure that AMSAT were complying
with something besides vapor, no matter how strictly drawn the standards
might be in principle.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
We may yet reach a point where the only sector of scientific inquiry that is
safe from the anti-science mobs on the Right is weapons research. -- Arianna