[Namaste-dev] Re: Thoughts on ACP Interoperability

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Sun Jul 13 08:54:10 PDT 2008

>From the Project 25website:

*What is Required for P25 Compliance? *

At a minimum, a P25 radio system must provide interoperability with these
mandatory P25 Standard components:

   - *The Common Air Interface (CAI) specifies how information is coded,
   transmitted and received over the air. *

   It enables users to interoperate and communicate digitally across
   networks, agencies, and vendors.
   - *The Improved Multi-Band Excitation (IMBE) vocoder converts speech into
   a digital bit stream. *

   Test panels judged IMBE as the coding scheme most successful at making
   male and female voices audible against background noises such as moving
   vehicles, sirens, gunshots, and traffic noise – the conditions of public
   safety use.

P25 has also defined standard modes of operation to enable multi-vendor
interoperability for additional system functions: trunking, encryption,
over-the-air rekeying, to name a few.

A set of defined system interfaces allow the P25 system elements to
communicate with host computers, data terminals and the public switched
telephone network (PSTN).

---

My reading of the situation is that any AMSAT system can be provided
*additional* capabilities for using the CAI and some other interfaces. These
interfaces are nominally open, although conspicuously lacking reference
implementations.

However, thanks to the use of IMBE, having an AMSAT system that implements
any function where the codec is applied is completely out of bounds until
such time as the intellectual property issues surrounding it are resolved.

For the sake of completeness, I would point interested readers to other
areas of the website where P25 vendors are criticized (by GAO and others)
for failing to provide complete implementations of the standard. It would
appear that vendors have been lagging grievously in providing precisely the
interoperability parts of the standard, while they've shown remarkable
alacrity at fielding systems employing the proprietary codec technology.

In short, the vendors seem largely to have blown off interop, but have
demonstrated great motivation at shouldering out competition. My private
impression is that AMSAT could implement the full buffet of CAI specs and
wind up with systems that have nobody to talk to at the P25 end. A person
more cynical than myself might infer that P25 is nothing more than yet
another scam to ensure virtual monopolies for large vendors.

None of this is a surprise -- in fact, it's business as usual -- where
proprietary specs are concerned. Again, my private conviction is that AMSAT
would be flat-out loony to devote any effort whatsoever at realizing
anything but a certifiably Open standard.

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Rick Hambly (W2GPS) <w2gps at cnssys.com>
wrote:

> Timothy,
>
> Thank you for your input. I strongly agree that any external interface with
> the ground station should be IP based. That opens up a number of
> Ham-centric
> and emergency communications application interfaces that can easily be
> built
> on top of IP.
>
> The average satellite user of this ground station will be an individual in
> his or her home. Even then, the IP interface will allow that user to
> connect
> the ground station to their computer and exchange IP voice, pictures,
> video,
> files, etc. with the users on the communications channel.
>
> Could we put applications like a P25/IP interface in our PC or laptop,
> thereby separating this applications issue from the immediate need to get
> an
> affordable ACP ground station built soon? I don't really know enough about
> P25 or its implications (technical, legal) to know.
>
> Rick
> W2GPS
> AMSAT LM2232

What else may hap to time I will commit... -- Twelfth Night