[Namaste-dev] Re: AMSAT Engineering

Michelle w5nyv at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 09:29:41 PDT 2008

Hi James,

Please forgive the addition of some brief comments.

I had hoped that the project would be restored, and I would be able to continue to help coordinate it, following Bob's taking it over and dismissing Matt (and then myself shortly afterward). However, Rick then dismissed me too (in an email and then in a phone call late this last week).

He made it very clear that I was not part of the reorganization and would have no role in the formation of new teams, which may or may not include the ground station as it was being pursued. He said that over time I might be "allowed back in, little by little", with respect to coordinating teams for AMSAT.

He suggested that I keep working hard on the ground station, but I'm not sure I want the responsibility without the authority. Especially if I'm doing it as a lame duck. The best thing to do seems to be to simply get out of the way, even though the work was thoroughly enjoyable and wonderfully challenging.

I did not anticipate the personnel and policy changes, and I did not anticipate there being a reorganization. I work best in a collaborative manner, and not well at all in a top-down manner. I don't think I fit in very well at AMSAT.

I strongly support anyone doing ground station development for the amateur satellite service. I'll be working on coordinating a similar project in the area of terrestrial microwave. The experience on Namaste was just too much fun to not try and continue it somehow.

I'd of course be happy to continue collaborating privately with anyone out there concerning technical questions with the future ground station project.

Thank you,-Michelle W5NYV

Potestatem obscuri lateris nescis.