[Namaste-dev] Re: White paper

Paul Williamson kb5mu at amsat.org
Sun Jul 6 22:40:46 PDT 2008

At 8:54 AM -0400 7/6/08, Gunther Meisse wrote:
>There can be only one "COOK", be it a
>human or software, or we will burn the stew, as well as being laughed out of
>any big money or respect for the system.

I am not sure I know what you're saying here. Can you restate it without the metaphor, please?

>One off the wall idea is to issue codes via the internet or other means ...

Our big selling point to the emergency services community is that we don't rely on any fragile infrastructure, such as the internet. If we need such a security system, we'll want to implement it ourselves via the satellite link.

If we think such a system is needed, somebody ought to get started on drafting the requirements. They should probably also be drafting rules to propose to the FCC to make it clearly legal to do so. And, they should research the legal implications in all the other countries of interest.

>The portion which
>links the officials must be clean of "jabbering hams" during the emergency
>operations. We must remember that we are providing a service to others
>during this time of operation. Past experience with weather nets, hurricane
>nets etc reek of people calling to ask what time it is? In the Emergency
>Operations Mode, the Ham is in a "Fulfillment Role" not a talk one.

I fear that any attempt to replace operator discipline with technical solutions is doomed to failure. Your "admission ticket" idea can work to limit access, but it won't be very good at granting access rapidly to new stations that may have legitimate traffic. Personally I would not be very happy about a system that assumes by default that a licensed ham radio operator is not to be trusted to make the decision about when to transmit.

73  -Paul
kb5mu at amsat.org