[Namaste-dev] Re: Version 1.0 of Interoperability Study by Joanne Maenpaa posted for review

JoAnne Maenpaa k9jkm at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 18:21:54 PDT 2008

Hello Bob,

I've put in my short answers to your questions below.  I'll work on more
details over the next several days - gives me time to think; and, my work
schedule at the hospital is going to tie me up for a few days.

I agree, over the long run decisions on where we wish to fit into a disaster
scene need to speak for all of AMSAT.  At this point I hope to offer some
enticement for funding sources to invite us to tell them more.

> I wonder if it is too much to ask at this time that you suggest a
> few immediate and a few longer term actions we might take.

One immediate action includes developing communication scenarios in which we
can feature AMSAT's capability.  In my experience, Emergency Management
personnel base a lot of training and what-if type discussion on case study
scenarios.  Their scenarios propose and describe a problem and then discuss
solutions.  I'll work on solutions that include an ACP station.

> If you feel like taking on this additional piece,  assume that we are
> targeting the Southern California area to interoperate with first
responders
> in dealing with fires in answering this request.

This will be a very good place to drill deeper for analysis.  The sheer
volume of the population concentration and logistical challenges in this
scenario may reveal many places where AMSAT offers added value.  In the NIMS
document the Operations Sector drills down to 4 additional layers beyond
what I discussed at the white paper level, each layer perhaps posing an
additional communications challenge.  A wildfire in California will allow
AMSAT to propose logical solutions to a well known problem.

Other challenging incidents we may be able to offer added value include
Category 5 hurricane in an urban area, Supertanker sinking with ensuing
environmental consequences, multi-state flooding on the Mississippi River,
northeast power blackout, etc.

AMSAT has members with a broad range of skills and talent.  Perhaps as the
ACP becomes available those AMSAT members with ARES or RACES contacts could
be the forefront of non-government-agency participation in UC/ICS.  Amateur
radio will be able to offer something more than intrepid, ready-to-help
civilians in a yellow vest and an HT in a disaster.  Those fellas will now
have a communications tool with nearly global coverage.

When an emergency manager asks what AMSAT can do for them our answer should
be a confident, "We can help 4 teams in your Operations Sector who cannot
speak with each other to tie back into your command post."  And, "Your
Logistics Sector can't talk with all of its staging areas in 3 states? No
problem!"

--
73 de JoAnne K9JKM
k9jkm at amsat.org