[keps] Update on Various CubeSat Identities

Ray Hoad ray.hoad at mypbmail.com
Thu Oct 18 20:27:16 PDT 2012

I want to thank Nico Jansseen, PA0DLO, for clarifying the identities of the
various satellites I had asked about last week.  Although some are still in
question, we have (thanks to Nico) a better match with which to work. As
Nico pointed out to me, the continual re-assignment of object designations
and different sources (myself included) using different identifications has
made the whole process very confusing.  I whole heartedly agree.  I plan to
stick with the following system until I am reasonably sure a change is
needed. The KEPs will use only the common name and the catalog number to
identify the CubeSat.

The five CubeSats deployed from ISS have now been pretty much identified
(per Nico) as follows:
 International Common        Catalog
 Designator    Name *        Number
 1998-067CN    RAIKO      Cat. # 38852
 1998-067CP    FITSAT 1   Cat. # 38853
 1998-067CQ    TechEdSat  Cat. # 38854
 1998-067CR    F 1        Cat. # 38855
 1998-067CS    WeWish     Cat. # 38856

The ELaNa Cubesats were launched 9-9-2012 (NROL-36 launch). I am going back
to the original SpaceTrack designations until the identities are proven. The
designations are as follows:
 International Common        Catalog
 Designator    Name *        Number
 2012-048C     AENEAS   Cat. # 38760 (Object C) This object is firm as
AENEAS.
 2012-048D     CSSWE    Cat. # 38761 (Object D) This object is not firmly
identified.
 2012-048E     CXBN     Cat. # 38762 (Object E) This object is not firmly
identified.
 2012-048F     ??????   Cat. # 38763 (Object F) This object is not
identified.
 2012-048G     CINEMA   Cat. # 38764 (Object G) This object is not firmly
identified.
 2012-048H     CP5      Cat. # 38765 (Object H) This object is firm as CP5.
 2012-048J     ??????   Cat. # 38766 (Object J) This object has been dropped
from the KEPs this week.

If you disagree with any of the above, I would like to hear from you.
It seems that change is the only constant.

Ray Hoad - WA5QGD