[eagle] Re: ITAR BS

Chuck Green greencl at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 10 08:26:34 PDT 2008

Hi Bill,
> Hey, I'm for trying anything that might work. Come to think of it, I'm
> really not clear how the university CubeSats are treated by ITAR. I
> don't recall any of the participants complaining about ITAR. Someone
> got the answer??
I worked with Cal Poly quite a bit.  They had to follow the ITAR rules
just like the rest of us.  And they did.

I was in Germany when I got a panic telephone call from the guys at Cal
Poly.  They had just received notice from the ITAR regulators that ITAR
was exercising their option to send observers along on the launch
campaign at Cal Poly's expense.  Cal Poly did *not* have the budget to
support this!  I referred them to Dino as someone who knew how to handle
the situation and eventually they negotiated a solution that did not
involve observers.  Cal Poly also has a legal staff that got involved.

Also, Cal Poly required a signed statement from CubeSat developers that
their satellites were in compliance with all pertinent ITAR regulations.

Chuck