[eagle] Re: ITAR BS

Bill Ress bill at hsmicrowave.com
Tue Sep 9 22:50:56 PDT 2008

Hi Tom,

Thanks for weighing in on this sticky issue.

You mentioned SpaceQuest exporting AO-51 as a commercial satellite. Now
that confuses me since an Amateur satellite by FCC rules cannot be
"commercial". So somewhere there's a definition disconnect. I'd be happy
to define our satellites as "commercial" and then follow whatever Space
Quest did. But can we do that? I have a copy of the paper they wrote
here somewhere describing all they went through as a sorta guideline.

Educational organizations - I'd have to go back through ITAR again but I
didn't recall seeing a ITAR exemption for "educational" entities. IF
there is, I would think, like you, that AMSAT should be considered a
bona fide educational institution. If degrees can be obtained on the
internet, surely we can offer courses in satellite design, building and
operation. I bet you could whip up a curriculum.

I jest somewhat, but perhaps there are some other legitimate directions
we can follow and that is why I think all this dialog is useful.

I have just sent off an email to one of my CalPoly contacts involved
with the CubeSat program asking him about ITAR. I'll report on what I
get back.

Regards...Bill - N6GHz