[eagle] Re: ITAR BS

Assi Friedman 4x1kx at iarc.org
Tue Sep 9 15:46:53 PDT 2008

Bill,
Some corrections:
1) ITAR always applies; you are just trying to meet its restrictions.
2) Also need to add to your list of conditions "participation for the US
made satellite launched on US launcher is limited to US persons"
3) The US launcher has to be owned by a US customer. If a US launcher is
purchased by a foreign customer, then you will need to sit at the table and
discuss technical launch integration details - TAA needed.
4) In order to accept foreign payloads you will need a TAA in order to have
a technical discussion.  The only exception to that may be opening a
catalog, choosing a device, calling the foreign company and ordering the
device per the catalog with no technical discussion what so ever.
So unfortunately, there is no such thing as "ITAR doesn't apply".

ITAR sucks, but fortunately for everyone, there is light at the end of the
tunnel. When the industry advocated ITAR a few decades ago, it did so to
protect the US aerospace industry from foreign competition.  As a result, we
can attribute the huge success of foreign organizations to ITAR. We didn't
give them a fish, so they learned how to fish themselves.  Now that in the
past 5 or so year, the US Govt and DoD have been purchasing hardware abroad
and therefore circumventing the purpose of ITAR, the industry is up in arms
and out to significantly minimize ITAR. So we have to sit back and watch it
happen. Hopefully, it won't take too long.

Assi kk7kx