[eagle] Re: ITAR BS

Bill Ress bill at hsmicrowave.com
Tue Sep 9 14:49:26 PDT 2008

Bob, et al.

I have been looking into ITAR issues, as you know, and one of the things
I found (through asking questions - but admittedly not the one who had
the problem) was that the individual who it seems was actually "guilty"
of violating ITAR (while consulting with a foreign satellite maker - not
AMSAT related) started to spread fear throughout our ranks. Was this
appropriate on his part? Was it sour grapes? Should he have known better?

Let's put this ITAR stuff on hold for bit. I have volunteered to off
load from Rick his efforts to resolve ITAR. Rick has briefed me on the
recent AMSAT activities, offered to assist my efforts, and has agreed on
a plan which will start by getting a reading from State, using their
"commodity jurisdiction determination" procedure on the IHU-3, which is
the long pole in the tent right now. I'm certain that effort will flush
out a lot of information from State and hopefully start some meaningful
dialog. We won't know until we try.

Then I'll be preparing series of articles about ITAR and its
implications or lack thereof, using all the resources I can gather to
provide guidance, counsel and editing, for what could become the basis
for our formal ITAR guideline.

But I can tell you this fact right now. ITAR _DOES NOT_ apply to an
AMSAT satellite launched by a USA company. Additionally, ITAR DOES NOT
apply to material, hardware or software, we receive from outside the USA
for inclusion into our USA company launched satellite. The big key here
is USA company launch. Hence the attractiveness of the Intelsat
rideshare. ITAR doesn't apply.

So until AMSAT plans for a launch by a foreign government - forget ITAR.
And if we must consider a foreign country launch in the future, I'm
hoping we'll have a better understanding of our ITAR do's and don'ts.

Just remember - 4 years ago we launched AO-51 from Russia and I didn't
see any of the AMSAT team get hauled off to jail. With all its publicity
you'd have thought it would have caught the eye of someone at State if
they really felt we were "bad guys." I actually take that as a tacit
approval by them (by using the concept of precedents - viewing our over
thirty year satellite building and launching history) that we're the
"good guys" but they don't want to go to Congress to have us formally
excluded from a their confusing ITAR document...............But then I'm
a glass half full guy!!

So Matt, yes - I see ITAR as just _one_ reason, of which there are
several, for our lack of progress and concerns by some key volunteers.

Regards...Bill - N6GHz