[eagle] Re: 2008 Symposium deadline

John B. Stephensen kd6ozh at comcast.net
Mon Sep 8 12:25:04 PDT 2008

What led me to beleive that nothing had been done is that there is no
published policy regarding ITAR and others seem to be confused about its
requirements.

Ten years ago, I worked with my employer's contracts manager and an outside
attorney to come up with a policy for the development of encryption software
for their products. Since they wanted to sell in the U.S. and Europe,
including government customers, this ended up being complicated. A big
problem is that the federal regulations are only part of the law. The rest
is precidents set by rulings in federal court. Consequently, all he could
tell us about some schemes to divide up development resources worldwide to
comply with the law was that it was a "gray area" and untested in court.
After 4-5 iterations we ended up with a written policy. We did have to force
foreign nationals in overseas subsidiaries to comply with U.S. law.