[eagle] Re: 2008 Symposium deadline

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 09:11:29 PDT 2008

We paid extremely high powered lawyers in D.C. to give us advice.  The chief
executive worked for hours with a lawyer, who is a member of AMSAT,  who put
himself into the same committees and so forth as the other high powered
lawyers.  Detailed technical assistance agreements complying with the letter
of ITAR were drawn up and rejected by AMSAT-UK and AMSAT-DL with cause.  It
is UTTERLY ridiculous to bind entities outside the U.S., not acting in the
U.S.,  to obey our laws when they are not in the U.S.  Strictly speaking,
we are requiring them to foreswear ever even accidentally doing an exported,
DEEMED EXPORT being the most aggregious example.

Following this failure,  I am not aware of any other activity.  We made no
unofficial or official requests of anyone in a position of authority inside
the U.S. government who could help us officially.

To saw we have done nothing is false.  We have not been effective and
knowing this was a very tough nut to crack,  the board and senior-officers
did not do their duty, which was to bring out a no holds barred assault on
this.  Some are afraid of getting ourselves above "see" level and attracting
the wrong kind of attention to past activities.

I have been quite upset about the lack of progress on this for some time but
I am as guilty as anyone in a position of responsibility in this
organization for not doing whatever it took to work this.  I understood how
utterly debilitating this was.  Every time I have said something about it,
I have been effectively ignored or asked "what do you suggest?".  In other
words, we have stopped trying.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"Trample the slow ....  Hurdle the dead"