[eagle] Re: 2008 Symposium deadline

Bill Ress bill at hsmicrowave.com
Sun Sep 7 08:08:12 PDT 2008

Hello Howard, et al,

I'm trying to get the BOD to focus on getting ITAR understood and to
resolve a set of guidelines for the technical teams,

I must agree with your comments about "public domain". In the AMSAT BWI
meeting, that was the tact determined we should use

Here's the references in ITAR for everyone to read:

The stuff is on the web at:

http://pmddtc.state.gov/official_itar_and_amendments.htm

_Read 120.10 Technical Data especially (5) and then read 120.11 Public Domain_

I still believe our comments at BWI concerning putting our work in the
public domain are valid.

Then look at _121.1 Category XV_ - Spacecraft Systems and Associated
Equipment ESPECIALLY the NOTE TO PARAGRAPH (a) and ask yourself - - are
our satellites intended for use by the armed forces of any foreign
country? The way I read it, if they aren't, the paragraph doesn't apply
to us and the rest of the stuff that follows doesn't fit us.

Now this is not a legal opinion since I'm no ITAR lawyer, but we have to quit running scared regarding ITAR since we know we aren't munitions manufacturers or exporters, so let's focus on the statements that would exclude us.

Regards...Bill - N6GHz