[eagle] Re: 2008 Symposium deadline

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun Sep 7 07:57:36 PDT 2008

Hello Howard!

>> 2) For the same reasons, ITAR prevents us from making
>> a presentation at any AMSAT Symposium with any technical
>> content except perhaps the most general.
>
> I am definitely no lawyer, but I thought that there was specific exemption
> in the definition of "public domain" in 22 CFR 120.11(6):
>
> "Through unlimited distribution at a conference, meeting, seminar,
> trade show or exhibition, generally accessible to the public in the
> United States"
>
> http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/aprqtr/22cfr120.11.htm

Neither am I.  My understanding is that if the purpose of the public
disclosure is to circumvent ITAR (e.g., like selling your business for
$1 before a divorce to prevent your spouse from getting it) then you are
still in deep doo-doo (whatever the lawyerese for deep doo-doo is).

--

I did not mean to stir up a hornet's nest. I am no expert on this. I was
just giving my distorted perspective and explaining why I am no longer

73,

Lyle KK7P