[eagle] revision control, wiki, web, etc.

Matt Ettus matt at ettus.com
Thu May 29 11:57:13 PDT 2008

I have been talking with Dave Hartzell and Johnathan Corgan about the
web resources necessary to back the development of ACP, Namaste and
other AMSAT projects.  We talked about setting up Subversion and Trac,
which we have used very productively for a few years on the GNU Radio
project.  Trac provides a wiki, bug tracking, milestones, history, and
source code browsing.

We could set it up on the server in Rick's office, but that would
involve a lot of volunteer time to set it up, manage it, and back it
up.  It also would involve putting more access into a box which will
apparently have people's credit card info on it, which is clearly a bad
idea.  These roll-your-own solutions, like Eaglepedia are hard to sustain.

Johnathan has been using, and suggested that we use, devguard.com which
provides exactly the kind of Trac and SVN hosting we need.  For $7.95 a
month they'll host it, back it up, and support an unlimited number of
users.  As the total data size and number of projects grows, you simply
move up to larger plans which top out at 5 GB and $60/month.

Free volunteers don't come cheap.  Neither does bandwidth.  Proper
security and backup systems are hard.  Why not leave these things to
professionals who do it all day long for a reasonable price?

Please check out their services at:

    http://devguard.com

I would appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on this.  I feel strongly
that this is the right way to go.  This is a multi-million dollar
project, so 20 bucks or so a month is in the noise.

Matt