[eagle] Re: [suitsat2] RF update

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 09:34:29 PDT 2008

Ivan:

When Meghan was young,  she suffered from this.  It was almost to the
point where we were going to give up emotionally and then AdVair was
introduced.  Meghan went from suffering to a soccer team star, on the
Olympic development team,  member of the fifth ranked high school team
in the nation,  fourth ranked private club in the nation,  and second
twice in club finals in New Jersey behind the number 1 ranked team in
the nation (poor us) twice.

When at the end of her Junior season at her private school, playing a
"no one" game,  she destroyed her ankle, it was the end of soccer for
her.  She knew by Christmas it was over.  In the spring semester,  she
added AP courses,  and took AP all senior passing five courses with 4
and two with 5's.  She is now the second ranked student in Neuroscience
at NYU.

Her SAT's stank (well,  90% percentile) and she confessed that she had
trouble with reading speed.  I had her tested  and she has dyxlexia.
These SAT's scores  prevented her from getting early admission the
school of her choice,  late admission to several Ivy's but NYU gave her
admission the day after the arrival of her transcript and some
scholarship money.  She said "I am going where I am wanted and living in
NYC would be great" and that was the end of me whining about any of
this.  She met and fell in love with the son of a senior manager at
Merck pharmaceuticals who now is the fastest being promoted new analyst
at Black Rock.

http://n4hy.smugmug.com/gallery/2308316_ExrWn#120662459_Vf8ec-A-LB

NEVER give up on them.  Never let them feel sorry for themselves and you
don't either.   With love and patience,  children are just amazingly
resilient.

You have my best wishes and I am hoping for all the best for you and
your daughter.

Now  ;-)

I need my RF.  I cannot tell you how happy I am that you and Tom Clark
are working together.  I am 54.  Tom has been my mentor, friend,  almost
father figure since I was in my early 20's.  Every single thing the man
ever told me to do,  turned into a life.  I have led several of them
successfully because of his advice. ;-).   I have had more than my fair
share maybe but I try to use them to the fullest possible extent for
good.  When I did not seriously consider his advice,  it was a
disaster.  Consider yourself forewarned.

I am going to be incommunicado starting Monday, 4/29 until June 5.  I
will be worthless until June 10.  Tom Clark, Barry Baines, and Rick
Hambly have agreed to act in my stead on engineering matters.  They have
my complete confidence.  When I return,  we will decide if I can
continue my duties as the VPE and should it be necessary,  we will
conduct an orderly transision.  I serve at the pleasure of the board,
and I will continue to do so until we agree I should go.

For the rest of you,  I insist that we have meetings to accomplish
several tasks:

1) Complete a total plan for build of the ACP and ground terminal
prototypes and follow through on the planning of the San Diego
experiments.  Jan King wishes to support this meeting in person and will
fly from Europe if we give him sufficient notice.  I suggest an early
meeting on ACP while I am gone and the "with Jan and a full team" when I
return.

2) Suitsat engineering needs a meeting.  That is in the works.  It needs
to happen ASAP.

Tom Clark has been asked by me to represent AMSAT technical to what
appears to be an important meeting of the Technology Task Force at
Dayton.  Please cooperate with him in the preparation for this which is
entirely separate from the AMSAT talks.

When I return,  I want to move out and build out these ACP experiments.
They are absolutely key to our success in getting on Intelsat in my
opinion.  I cannot even get out executive to schedule further meetings
with Intelsat.  I would have taken a battering ram to the door but such
is the lack of confidence in us.  We must overcome this to succeed.
Those are the stakes.

Barry will be given a more detailed list of people, plans, etc. today in
writing.

My best wishes to all of you while I am gone.

Bob
N4HY

Barr