[eagle] Re: Proposed agenda for Jan. 8 TS meeting

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:54:39 PST 2008

Matt and Jeff:

Thanks for your input.  The TeamSpeak server is operated for us by Eric
Ellison.  I am sure he would be more than happy investigating Mumble.
TS can (and in our case) does use Speex (since the vocoder is chosen by
the channel administrator, in this case me).  Before hearing of Mumble
from you,  we searched for quite a bit for anything that would support
the vocoders of choice, and ran on all platforms: Linux, Mac OS/x, and
Windows.  The greatest common divisor was TS.

My position on open source is the same as yours as you know but I am
going to let practicality trump here.  If Mumble is mature enough,  we
will consider using it in the future.  For now, we need to move quickly
enough to prepare for several things that we just cannot afford to do
anything but proceed until we are sure.

Thanks,
Bob

Matt Ettus wrote:
> Robert McGwier wrote:
>> This is a proposed agenda for next week's meeting.  Poor Howard!  If he
>> cannot make it for that meeting,  we will get the report from him
>> earlier and deliver it.
>>
>> Please send me your modifications.  I will contact each of the proposed
>> presenters directly.
>>
>> http://n4hy.org/AMSAT_Engineering_Meeting_2008_i.pdf
>>
>> Barry Baines is the leader of the meeting and the time enforcer.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> In the past I have not participated in these teamspeak meetings for a
> number of reasons, mostly centered around TeamSpeak itself, which is
> most definitely NOT open source, and not terribly good either, in my
> opinion.   The developers are quite open about the fact that they will
> NEVER open it up:
>
>    http://forum.teamspeak.com/archive/index.php/t-372.html
>

> Clearly it is too short of a time frame to switch for this meeting, but
> I would really like to investigate some other option which is open.  A
> very quick google search turned up the following:
>
>    http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
>
> It is open, has clients for Windows and Linux, and seems to have a lot
> of happy users.  As a bonus, it uses the Speex audio codec which we are
> considering for use in many AMSAT and other ham applications.  This
> would make tying the internet- and satellite- connected conversations
> together easier.
>
> If some people would like to test this with me, let me know.  At least
> one Linux user, on Windows user, and maybe a Mac person who knows how to
> compile common open source apps would be useful.
>
> Matt

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes