[eagle] Re: Revised Module Suggestion

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 05:35:46 PDT 2007

My apologies.  IPS-32 is open source now and my running version of
IPS-32 is available for download on the Eagle Wikipedia.  I mistyped.  I
should have expressed my thoughts about the unsuitability of the IHU-3
and IPS and what kind of CPU/control strategy we should use on a
geostationary RF package where we have absolutely nothing to control but
the RF differently.

IPS is still one of the great pieces of work in computer science of that
particular era and never let it be thought that I am not an admirer of
Karl's work there.  It just is not suitable for an environment where we
have gobs of power,  lots of communications bandwidth, and absolutely no
need whatsoever for real time control.  We should use something that
more people can help with and understand because there is no need for
the terse expression of logic/math/etc that is inherent in IPS.

Bob

Bdale Garbee wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 14:01 -0400, Rick Hambly (W2GPS) wrote:
>
>> 3) to move toward an open source operating system like a real time Linux
>> variant, for example.
>
> Just for the record, and not because I'm trying to disagree with you,
> I'll note in passing that IPS is open source, and Karl and the other key
> European developers agreed with the idea of explicitly licensing IPS
> under GPL version 2 when I asked about it in the context of a discussion
> about packaging IPS for Linux a couple of years ago.
>
> Bdale

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes