[eagle] Re: Revised Module Suggestion

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:19:11 PDT 2007

While I would have preferred a different route for this discussion to
have been joined, it is timely.  I have suggested that we do not have
the right computer for our new possible mission.  We are pushing on the
new opportunity with all our might.  It does not make sense in any way
to fly the IHU-3 with IPS on it since there is no reason whatsoever to
have real time control of the possible new mission package.  We need the
simplest kind of computer that we believe will control the packages,
conduct communications with contro, and last for 15 years.

That said, there is nothing that changes in our need for the IHU-3.  We
are committed to bringing them to the table for P3E and should we fly a
satellite, stand alone, it is likely to be needed there.  I am going to
arrange to have the IHU-3's built incorporating the changes/mods we have
learned about from others.  Lyle and I have discussed this and I have
promised him I would have them built.

For the future:

I am actually even suggesting that we are near the end of life on our
ability to build these kinds of devices in our basements/shops and get
them reliable enough with a high enough yield to be useful.  I am
suggesting that if a cool head takes a long hard look at where we are,
where the parts are,  and what resources we have,  that we are likely to
decide we are better off having our people do the designs and then
having the boards manufactured for us.  The price has fallen so far on
set up charge and building that this probably makes sense.  I am not
mandating this,  I am suggesting that we should investigate this.

I have suggested that if we fly our own core in a fully qualified rad
hard FPGA,  there are OPEN CORES for processors.  We can easily modify
these cores to have fully EDAC registers and memory on chip for cache
and off chip memory can be the slow EDAC we know about.  In other words,
  time has marched on, and there is no reason we should not investigate
whether we should not move on as well.  These cores are available TODAY
in the opencores.org group.  We should look.

Bob

Rick Hambly (W2GPS) wrote:
> Lyle,
>
> Thank you. You are exactly correct.
>
> Rick
> W2GPS
> AMSAT LM2232

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes