[eagle] Re: Phased Array Concepts

Matt Ettus matt at ettus.com
Sat Oct 6 23:47:37 PDT 2007

Tom,

I have the working simulation of the tapped delay line design.   I did
all my sims with a delay line spacing of 30mm per element, or 0.3
wavelengths at 300 MHz.  Some observations:

- Once the varactor capacitance gets high enough, you start to get
reflections which mess up the phasing.  It happens to the elements
nearest to the generator (center of the array) first.  At 300 MHz, you
get bad behavior at the center, first, and second elements if the
capacitance gets over about 0.8 pF.  Going to a lower frequency will
allow for more capacitance, but you will need longer delay lines, and
will then end up with the same problem.

- The tap for getting the signal out may add capacitance of about the
same order of magnitude.

- The delay line needs to be long enough, or the caps all look like they
are in parallel.

- The center element will be common to all 12 strings, so some method of
splitting is necessary.  This splitting will introduce a phase offset
which is not linear with the applied voltage, so it will need to be
compensated for by changing the length of the delay lines between the
center element and the first varactor.

- You can probably reduce the reflections by putting attenuators in the
delay lines, but these would make the DC biasing of the varactors more
difficult.

I have attached my simulation.  It was done in qucs, which runs on
linux.  See qucs.sf.net or get it from your distribution.

Matt