[eagle] Re: AO-51 Multiband Antenna???

Chuck Green greencl at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 3 20:22:56 PDT 2007

Hi Guys,

Let me take my best shot at what I'm reading here... there is
confusion.  I think the confusion comes from mixing the term
"multi-band" with "variable frequency receive, aka SQRX".  They have
nothing to do with each other.

The multi-band antenna is an L/S antenna.  That's it.  It's a beautiful
piece of work by Stan.

The SQRX is fed from a splitter that is fed from the VHF antenna.  The
majority of the antenna signal goes to a preamp and then is split four
ways to feed the four VHF receivers.  The smaller portion of the antenna
signal goes to the SQRX.  I believe this antenna was designed by Mark
Kanawati, but I'm not sure.

If you want to see a couple of thousand pictures, including many of the
internals of the satellite, you can look at my collection at
http://bach.as.arizona.edu/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3759

I hope this helps,
Chuck