[eagle] Re: N4HY wins prestigious award

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 10:05:15 PDT 2007

Thanks Dale, Tom, and others.  I have had great partners in all of my
work.  I am grateful for all of the ideas, support, trust, complaints,
advice etc. that have flown freely from the SDR,Flex groups, TAPR, ARRL,
  and of course, AMSAT.  It has been amazing fun to try out new ideas
here and to work with Frank, Eric, and many others on our joint
endeavors.  There are too many people in AMSAT to thank but one must be
singled out.

Tom Clark talked me into doing technical work in AMSAT when I was still
in college and later talked me into doing the DSP project with TAPR and
AMSAT.  That advice and encouragement had a tremendous impact on my
life, defining its trajectory almost completely.  My close relationship
  with Tom has gone on for over 25 years.   Tom often does not seem to
see that of all his contributions, the most important of all by far is
the impact he has had on others through his friendship, mentoring, and
leadership.  In my mind,  it is the one of the most accomplished lives
in amateur radio and beyond if you completely subtract all of his
technical work.  Tom talked me into joining Central States who gave me
the award.  My wife and I love it so much we go every year not unlike
most of its members.

Dale, your friend was the runner up in the big CSVHFS operating award
again with an eye toward going for first.  I know you are proud of that
friendship.

I do not covet awards and I certainly don't seek them but the John
Chambers award is one I am extremely proud to have as all of my
engineering mentors in amateur radio have received it including, but not
limited to, Tom and Jan King. This was a complete shock.

73's
Bob