[eagle] Re: Receiver Spec vs. ATP, a few Suggestions and a Question or Two

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Sat Jul 28 14:40:55 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 21:23 -0700, Juan Rivera wrote:

> I have a few thoughts...  The CAN-Do switching step-down converter is
> only supplying 11 milliamps.  If we take a slight efficiency hit we
> could just go to a simple linear regulator and completely eliminate
> the radiated and conducted EMI emission problem from CAN-do.  That
> eases the EMI filtering and shielding requirements for every single
> payload.  That seems like a good trade-off to me.

Hrm.  What makes you say "a slight efficiency hit"?

Doing this on one or two modules that are particularly susceptible to
noise *may* make sense (and I'm certainly open to considering this as an
alternative), but we're already on our second power supply design on the
CAN-Do! because the original switcher, which was more efficient than a
linear regulator, was deemed too inefficient to fly on P3E by our
AMSAT-DL friends.

Bdale